Last updated 18th July 2014
Who are we?
For more information, visit the Experian Group Limited's website on www.experiangroup.com.
The word "EXPERIAN" and the square and dots graphical device in respect of Experian are trademarks of the Experian Group and may be registered in the EU, USA and other countries. The square and dots graphical device is a registered Community design in the EU. All rights reserved.
What is our commitment to you?
What types of information do we collect about you?
The primary reason we collect personal information about you is to provide you with the products and services that you have requested. When you choose to provide us with information through your use of this website, Experian Business Check (for example, when you register to subscribe to the website, or you contact us via this website), then we may receive personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address and/or billing information (such as credit card (or other payment card) information), depending on the activity you have selected.
How do we use or share this information?
The types of information we collect, and the primary purposes for which it is collected are:
- Your name, email address, business name, registered number, business address, contact and/or mobile telephone number, is required to provide you with the products and services that you order from us.
- Billing information, credit card (or other payment card) number, and your name and billing address, is required to process the payment for the products and services you order from us. (Please note we use third party payment processors and merchant account providers who perform payment processing services on our behalf for all services you can pay for in connection with this website. Experian requires these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and requires that they use your data only in connection with the services they are performing on our behalf )
- Where you choose to receive alerts about changes to a business we will use the email address or the mobile telephone number you have entered into the appropriate section of your account to send the alert(s).
In addition to the primary purposes listed above we may also use the information we collect about you for the following secondary purposes:
- Purposes relating to this service.
- Dealing with your requests and enquiries.
- Maintaining our records and for other administrative purposes.
- Tracking activity on this website.
- Protecting our websites and systems against unauthorised access.
- Improving the quality of our service.
Purposes of service improvement
Experian may use your personal data and information collected as a result of your use of this website to improve its sites and services across the Experian Group. These uses may include performing research and analysis aimed at improving our sites, data, databases, products, services and/or technologies.
Purposes relating to Direct Marketing
Experian may use your details to send you communications by email or post about similar Experian Group products and services. These emails will always be sent by an Experian Group company. Experian will ensure that where you receive marketing communications from us that these give you the opportunity to unsubscribe. Should you wish not to receive marketing material any longer, you may opt out at any given time.
Experian may pass your details to carefully selected third parties, for the purpose of allowing such third parties to contact you by post or email with information on offers regarding their goods and services.
The contact details that you enter in the appropriate section of your account will also be used for the
purpose of sending your requested alerts to you.
Do we share your information with third parties?
We may pass your details on to third party organisations under the following circumstances:
- We may disclose all of the information we collect, as described above, to companies that perform services on our behalf such as credit card processors, merchant account providers or third party payment processors and data may be hosted outside the European Economic Area by such companies. (Where we use such third parties, we shall require they comply strictly with our instructions and use your data only in connection with the services they are performing on our behalf.)
- When you access Experian Business Check via a third party we may disclose the information that we collect to that third party, to assist them with their services. (Experian is not responsible for the data policies or procedures or the content of linked websites which are hosted and/or owned by companies outside of the Experian Group.)
- If you have agreed to receive third party marketing communications by post or e-mail we may pass your name, business name, address and e-mail address on to third party organisations to allow them to contact you. We shall not pass your details on to these organisations for these purposes unless you have expressly opted in on this website to receive such marketing.
How long do we hold your information for?
We will hold your personal information collected from this website for a period of 12 months after your last order. The only billing information we hold subsequent to completion of any purchase you make from this website is the minimum required for PCI compliance, namely the payment card type and the last 4 digits only of the payment card you have used to purchase services from this website.
How do we protect your information?
We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your information. We restrict access to your personal data to those employees, and third parties, who need to know that information to provide products or services to you, or for who you have agreed can have access to your information. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal data.
Experian protects your information over the Internet by using secure web server technologies, which allows web browser programs (Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer) to interact with Experian's web server via an encrypted session. Experian employs a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection that provides an encrypted connection between your computer and Experian. The 128 bit encrypted connection scrambles ordinary text or data into cypher text to safeguard sensitive information during its journey across the Internet. The information is decrypted, or put back into a readable format, when it reaches its intended destination. When you visit the Experian website you may move in and out of secured areas. Any time that you are on a part of this website that requires you to insert your personal or billing information, you will be in a secured area.
Because we operate throughout the world in providing our goods and services, this may involve us transferring your personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area, whose data protection laws do not provide the same level of protection as those in the Republic of South Africa. If we do so, we will ensure that an agreement is in place in which anyone to whom we pass the information agrees to treat it with the same level of protection as if we were dealing with it.